Thursday 1 March 2012

Happy World Book Day

Being over 18 now World Book Day doesn't really have the same appeal to me any more. I remember from a young age receiving my £1 book token at school, and the excitement of being able to pick out of the specially released titles that year. But I can't help feeling a little left out now...

Yet I still love what World Book Day stands for:
"World Book Day is a celebration! It’s a celebration of authors, illustrators, books and (most importantly) it’s a celebration of reading."
But with the wonders of the internet you can no download or get a copy of all the specially released World Book Day Titles on Amazon. This selection of children's books are still available to all of us over 18 for their promotional price of £1 and with some fantastic authors contributing they have to be worth a look.

You can view the full list of the books available here, but my top picks are:

Roald Dahl's Fantabulous Facts (paperback)
Despite his death in 1990 (the same year I was born) I am a huge fan of Roald Dahl, with James and the Giant Peach being one of my favourite childhood reads. This fun book aimed at children 8+ is illustrated by Quentin Blake.

How to Train Your Dragon: the Day of the Dreader (paperback)
This series of books was used as inspiration for the movie "How to Train Your Dragon", but as we all know 9 times out of 10 the books are always better!

Big Day Out (Kindle ebook)
Jacqueline Wilson was easily my favourite author as a child. I borrows or begged my mum to purchase all of her releases and still appreciate how this very talented author deals with difficult subjects so well. This has to be worth a read even if you are will above 8.

Skulduggery Pleasant: The End of the World (Kindle ebook)
I haven't heard of this book, or its author Derek Landy, before but its promise of humour, magic and adventure sounds like a good read.

So, if like me, you feel a little left out of the World Book Day celebrations there is no need to feel glum. Lets find our youth again and get involved in celebrating the love of reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment